Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Make your own bowl covers

Make your own bowl covers from old vinyl table cloths or shower curtains. To be extremely frugal, use elastic cut from old clothes. Cut a circle, using a dinner plate for a pattern, and cut a piece of elastic an inch or two shorter than the circumference of the bowls you'll be using (a little more or less won't matter much). Sew the elastic around the edge of the plastic circle, gathering as you go. Make larger and smaller covers while you're at it.

5 comments:

Sharon J said...

Good idea. I'd give it a go if only I could find the instructions for my sewing machine (I generally do most of my sewing by hand) and had an old shower curtain or plastic table cloth I could use.

Am sitting here now trying to think whether there's anything else I have that I could use...

Pat said...

If you come up with something else, let us know, please!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your site trying to find a tutorial for making these: http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?category=261 they are called foilers and are much to expensive for me. I'd rather make my own if I can. I made one, but it's not as tight as these. :(

Thanks for posting how to make yours.

Anonymous said...

Shower caps? The clear plastic ones are super cheap at the hair supply store. You can reuse them again and again. Now you don't get any seal at all but the food is protected. Just a thought.

Pat said...

Shower caps, yes, but why buy them when you can make them? Also, if you make your own, you can make different sizes to fit whatever you have.