Monday, January 28, 2008

Leaking Electricity

TVs, microwaves, computers and anything else that has a clock or light that stays on (or an "instant on" feature) still use energy when they're turned off, so unplug them when not in use. If that isn't convenient, put them on a power strip and turn that off when you're not using the appliances.


Anonymous said...

Does the power strip still use electricity when turned off?

Gigi said...

For Christmas, my daughter bought (the family) a convection toaster oven. We do not have a microwave oven. We do not like the light/motor running all the time. We would like to use a power strip, but they advise against it. Alas, we must plug and unplug it.

Pat said...

No, it doesn't, unless it has a light that stays on when it's turned off. I've never seen one like that, but there could be. In that case, the leaking electricity would be less than appliances plugged into it.

Pat said...

Gigi, it's always best to follow the manufacturer's advice, but (and I'm not advising anyone here)if it were me, I'd probably use one anyway, but only put one other appliance on it. I think the idea is that the oven may not operate at full power if the load was split between appliances, which is what a power strip does. Don't quote me, though! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, you CAN use a power strip.

The internal computers are the concern.

You will need to turn off any attached appliances indiviually first but if they are off already, turing off the power strip will save you energy and not harm the appliances (or printers, computers, TVs, etc.)

It is only the sudden cut in power rather than "powering down" that could prove harmful.